DIRECT SCHOOL ADMISSION EXERCISE 2017
Interested pupils may apply to join HCI via the Direct School Admission Exercise.Applicants are not required to take the General Ability Test or Higher Ability Selection Test during our DSA Exercise.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE HCI DIRECT SCHOOL ADMISSION?
- Registration begins on 20 May 2017 at http://forms.hci.edu.sg/dsa/registration/
- Only online applications are accepted
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by email
Parents and students are encouraged to choose schools wisely based on the student’s aptitudes and strengths, bearing in mind the schools’ academic and non-academic requirements, and the programmes available to develop the area of talent.
With the exception of Sports Talents, students may apply to only one of the following categories:
1. Sports Talents
Badminton, Basketball, Canoeing, Fencing, Gymnastics, Judo, Shooting, Softball, Table Tennis, Tennis, Track & Field/Cross Country, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wushu
Sports Trials will be held from 5 – 12 June. 2017 DSA Sports Trials dates can be found here.
Student athletes may apply to one other DSA category.
2. Mathematics Talents
Platinum or Gold Medallists in the Singapore Math Olympiad for Primary Schools, or other relevant achievements
3. Bilingual Talents
Top 30 Winners of the Singapore-Malaysia Schools Bilingual Olympiad Camp, Top 20 winners of the National Chinese Challenge, Leaders of HCI’s Bicultural Camp, or other relevant achievements
4. Science Talents
Students who do well in HCI’s Science and Maths Talent Camps, Silver Medallists or better in the Singapore Math Olympiad for Primary Schools, in school-based Competitions, National or International Competitions involving science, coding, inventions, Mathematical logic, and/ or innovations.
5. Humanities Talents
Achievement in debates, public speaking, creative problem solving competitions and other humanities-related activities
Leadership appointment in school such as Prefects and Student Councillors, or leaders in CCA, community service or entrepreneurship
Closing Date: 1 June
Notification of Shortlist: 29 June
DSA Interview Date: 8 July
DSA Selection Results: By the end of August
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO SUBMIT?
Shortlisted applicants are to submit the following:
- Primary 5 End-of-Year Overall Results
- Primary 6 Mid-Year Exam Results
- Application fee of $20
HOW DO I ACCEPT HCI’S DSA OFFER?
- Applicants with a Confirmed Offer are guaranteed a place in HCI, provided that they indicate the school as one of their preferences during the School Preference Exercise, and that they qualify for the Express academic course.
- Applicants with a Waitlisted Offer should place HCI as first choice during the School Preference Exercise to better their chances of entry to HCI.
- MOE will release the PSLE & DSA results in November 2017.
- You will be posted by MOE to your secondary school based on your ranked choices and the availability of places in these schools.
CAN INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS APPLY FOR DSA?
- You must obtain a registration number (REG No.) from the MOE Customer Service Centre before applying for DSA through the online portal.
- International students who wish to seek admission to our mainstream schools at the Primary 2 to 5 or Secondary 1 to 3 levels must take part in the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS).
- Confirmation of placement for the year 2018 (Secondary 1) under DSA will be subject to your AEIS results. More details can be found at http://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/international-students.
- You must have studied Chinese and/or Higher Chinese to be eligible for DSA application to Hwa Chong Institution.
HOW CAN RETURNING STUDENTS APPLY FOR DSA?
- Returning Singaporeans, who are either Citizens or PRs, and currently not studying in MOE schools are also required to have a REG No. from the MOE Customer Service Centre.
BACK TO TOP
Hwa Chong Institution (High School) Entrance Examination: Admission Year 2017
Our entrance examination is only open to candidates who are interested to be admitted into Secondary Three: AY2017. There are no vacancies for the other levels in High School.
Candidates must meet either of the two criteria listed below.
1) Current students of a local mainstream secondary school. Please note that students who have been admitted to their current school via DSA-Sec or AEIS exercise are NOT eligible for school transfer.
2) Returning Singaporeans (RS). RS may also participate in the Ministry of Education’s (MOE) School Placement Exercise for Returning Singaporean (SPERS). For more information on SPERS, please refer to MOE website at http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/returning-singaporeans/
Closing date for application.
The closing date for application is Friday, 21 October 2016. The examination will be held in the High School Section on Monday, 7 November 2016.
Candidates will have to sit for three tests:
|Subject Name||Duration||Tested on||Remarks|
|English Language||2 hours||
Section A: Essay
Section B: Comprehension
|Chinese Language||1 hour||Composition (作文)||The use of dictionary or electronic dictionary that is approved by the Singapore Ministry of Education|
|Mathematics||2 hours||Format of Question Paper: Topics (Sec 2 topics for Sec 3 entrance)||The use of electronic calculator is permitted|
• Hwa Chong Institution is a Special Assistance Plan school (SAP) in which our students must study English and Chinese at first language level.
• The HCI (High School) is an all-boys' school.
• School fee rates are available on our website under 'School Fee Structure'.
Complete the application form. You can mail the form, together with the Examination Fee ($200, inclusive of GST). For cheque payment, please make it payable to” Hwa Chong Institution”. Alternatively, please submit the form and payment in person at our High School Reception Office.
For those who intend to send the application form by mail, please use the address that is given below.
To: Entrance Exam (High School)
Hwa Chong Institution
661 Bukit Timah Road
If the application form is incompletely filled or the payment is omitted in the submission, the application will be rendered as void. Applicants should contact the school by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 64665912 ext 5912 if they do not receive the entrance examination time schedule by Friday, 28 October 2016.
Interview for shortlisted applicants: Last week of November 2016 (only if necessary).
Notification of Results: Friday, 9 December 2016 (Email & POST)
Details of the results will NOT be disclosed. The school’s decision on the outcome of the entrance examination is final.
International students who wish to seek admission to mainstream schools, are required to sit for and pass the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS).
For more information, please refer to MOE website: https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/international-students
Accommodation facilities are available at our boarding school located within the school premises. Other relevant information is available on the Hwa Chong Boarding School homepage: http://www.hcibs.edu.sg/BACK TO TOP